Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: American Movie

  1. #1
    Inactive Member FlashingHobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 7th, 2000
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think Mike Shanck was acting in American movie.I mean a Phoney!!!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Rabid_Communist's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2000
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    For the first post: Huh?

    On American Movie: Did this depress anyone else? I mean, I liked it and all, and I guess it ended in success, but fuck! Dude wasen't exactly a role model for young filmmakers. I know that I could never end up like that, but still...

  3. #3
    Dale
    Guest Dale's Avatar

    Post

    Depressing?

    I thought it was inspiring. I mean, here they are, two guys in the middle of nowhere going ahead and making their movie regardless. They seem really into getting the film made and not hung up on Hollywood. 'American Movie' is a touching documentary about the American dream.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Rabid_Communist's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2000
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Maybe not hung up on Hollywood, but he was hung up on fame. Actually, those kind of go together.

    I agree they were really into getting the film made, and yes, they did sort of represent the "American dream", but the guy was in his mid thirties! I don't want to offend ones way of life, and of course you don't have to get into film at an early age, but... I wouldn't want to be in his situation. That was what kind of depressed me.

    I really disagree that it was touching. I can't even see that the filmmakers wanted it to be touching. As a young filmmaker, I wouldn't show that flick to my parents... they'd probably lose all hope for me then!

    I would like to get the dvd though, just so I can see Coven.

    [This message has been edited by Rabid_Communist (edited September 04, 2000).]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member MatJimMood's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2nd, 2000
    Posts
    233
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If Mike was acting then he is a comic genius.

    I saw Coven on the DVD. I really wanted to like it but I could hardly sit through the whole 30 minutes. The fact that it was so bad made American Movie a lot more depressing.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member tashunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2000
    Posts
    141
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I thought this was one of the damn funniest pictures I've ever seen. I almost thought the whole thing was like a scripted "Spinal Tap" kinda thing. It wasn't but it was too funny to be real. I thought it was kinda inspiring. The guy knows his films are shit but they're his and he wants to make them no matter what. That rules!! One of my favourite films of all time. Definitely the best docu.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •